Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Rain Came

The Rain Came

I was putting in the last bulb on the ground.
Tears began to roll down my cheeks when
I realized the wind was sweeping away the
Soil on the ground where I plowed.
I felt some drops wetting my face. Not of
Tears from my eyes but droplets coming from
The sky. I knelt down and spread my arms with
Palms pointed towards the heavens. It had been
Months since we had rain and I prayed for it
Every night and every waking day. I blessed the
God that sent the rain and put my hands together
For a simple prayer: Lord, thank You for the rain.
I went inside my little cottage and watched the rain
Become bigger drops of water and
The wind become stronger. No more will the wind
Carry the soil away. As I watched, the rain became
A torrent and I saw the bulbs I planted being exposed
On the ground and soon being carried away
By a flood that came from nowhere and I prayed:
Lord, I asked for rain and You gave it. Now I ask
If You will, to stop the rain from pouring. I knelt
Down again in prayer and this time with all my heart
And strength. I realized, while in prayer that someone
Somewhere is in need of more water than I do.
There were animals dying of thirst and maybe a family
Or two whose wells became dry from the drought
Will drink well tonight.
God is so wise He doesn't need my counsel.
He knows my needs even before I tell Him.
And I know I'm not His only son. He's
Taking care of someone out there who needs
 Him more than I do.
Aida N. De Los Reyes
November 20, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment