Friday, March 22, 2013

Just an Ordinary Day


Just an Ordinary Day

A perfect day for an ordinary day
But not so good for something special
Like a birthday or a celebration.
I waited but no one came.
I sat alone in my sofa drinking my champagne
That was then soaking in the water-filled bucket
That should be chilling in cubes of ice.
I lighted my own candle and ate my birthday cake.
What a fun day for an ordinary day
But not so good for a birthday!
Some well-wishers came in the morning
But no one stayed long enough
To have a slice of cake.

With head still spinning from the day before,
I went to the mall to have a breath of fresh air where I met a clown
With a red rubber nose and a turned-down smile.
He smiled with the face he wore and the painted lines on
His forehead. I knew that he was smiling. I was close enough to
See the sparkle in his eyes as he juggled balls
When he saw me put a few paper bills in his can.

I walked the windy streets of San Francisco
Chilling in the cold October morning
Looking for something to do.
I passed by a store that sells used cameras
And linger a while and wonder
Who used to own those zoom lens
And complicated pieces of accessories
Before. Wouldn't it be grand
If I found something that used to belong
To some famous photographer? But who would know?
I walked past the store and came upon
A Chinese restaurant that served noodles
For just a dollar a bowl. The taste of cilantro still
Lingered long after the black tea they served
For free. I went back to the tracks of the tram
Hopeful that I would find my way back to
The Fairmont Hotel, a landmark where
The BART let passengers off.
Back at Fremont where my car sits
Waiting for the pilot to steer her back to home.

I met Eduardo, my Portuguese landlord
And said “Hello” to Manny, the Manager
On my way to the apartment I rent.
I heard the sound of a siren--another
Ambulance on its way to retrieve another
Corpse who probably died in his sleep.
Tomorrow, the flag will again fly half-mast
For another veteran gone.

Tonight, I resolve to write a letter to Manny.
I have a whole month to dispose of the
Junk I collected over the years, pack my bags,
Leave the place of the dying, and move
To somewhere where there is still life.
I am not quite ready to repose and meet the folks
On the other side. But when the time comes
You'll be sure to see a smile on my face--
Happy to go.
Oct. 2, 2009 Aida Alhambra

No comments:

Post a Comment